Saturday, June 25, 2011

To Jessica

Today is my baby girl's birthday, so I thought I would share a poem I wrote for her wedding day. Written in the voice of her late father, who died when she was five, I tried to express what I thought he would say to her ... if only he could.

Happy birthday, precious one. I love you.


My beautiful daughters

To Jessica


Sweet, sweet Jessica.
It seems like only yesterday
you ran to me to climb up my legs and give me
your one-of-a-kind hugs.

It seems like only yesterday
you stood behind me, brushing my hair
and making me feel like the luckiest dad in the world.

It seems like only yesterday
your little girl smile lit up every room you walked in
and I know it still does.

I wish you could feel me beside you
as you hold on to your new dad’s arm.

No, there’s no aisle to walk down,
but don’t forget to look around and see
the beauty surrounding you.
See the love your new dad poured into
every part of the natural beauty there.

Feel the warmth of this place you called “home”
and cherish the memories that belong
only to you.

Have a wonderful life, sweet daughter.
You have everything it takes
to be the phenomenal wife and mother
I know you will be.

Enjoy this day.
You deserve only the best.

I’m here with you today, Jessica,
my beautiful baby girl,
all grown up and ready to give her love
and her life
to yet another man.
He is worthy of all you have to give
and he’s blessed to have you.

I know because I was the first man you loved
and it was one of the purest gifts in my life.
Let your new dad embrace you for both of us.
He knows exactly what I mean.

© Hana Haatainen Caye
    2008

2 comments:

Search This Blog