That said, I wanted to share a list from the book. The mom in the book writes an advice column and I especially liked this one:
What I Know Now That I Wish I'd Known Before I Had Kids
- If you stick a piece of bread in a VCR, it will not come back intact.
- Garbage bags don't work as parachutes.
- Childproofing is a relative term.
- A tantrum is like a magnet -- Eyes cannot help but lock onto you and your child when it happens.
- Legos are not absorbed by the digestive tract.
- Snow is a food group.
- Kids know when you're not listening to them.
- A brussel sprout covered in cheese is still a brussel sprout.
- The best place to cry is in a mother's arms.
- You'll never be as good a mother as you want to be.
-- Emma in House Rules by Jodi Picoult
Isn't that a wonderful list? I personally love it, even if it is a list a fictional character created for a fictional parenting advice column!
So here's my challenge to you -- If you were to write a list with the same title, what would you include in your lineup? Post a comment here or on Facebook and let me know! I'll compile a list of my favorite 10 responses and post it.
Keeping it real,