Thursday, December 16, 2010

A versatile and inexpensive must-have for every bathroom

Recently, a friend sent me an email about the wonders of hydrogen peroxide and I have to tell you -- I haven't been this excited about an environmentally-friendly product since I started discovering the wonders of vinegar!

Hydrogen peroxide comes in different grades, starting with 3.5% pharmaceutical grade, which is the stuff you buy in the grocery store, and working its way up to 90%. What's the difference? Well, the low grade stuff can be used to whiten your teeth. However, I wouldn't recommend the 90% grade for that, considering that is what is used as an oxygen source for rocket fuel! Now that is what I call a versatile substance! It has antibacterial, antiviral, anti-fungal, and anti-yeast properties.

So, do you want a cheap and safe alternative to the expensive teeth whitening products out there? Grab a bottle of hydrogen peroxide and pour a capful into your mouth once a day, keeping it there for about 10 minutes. Since I, myself, have not tried this yet, I cannot vouch for its effectiveness...or the ease of doing this. But supposedly it works. Let me know if you give it a try and what you think. Oh, and from what I read, this is a perfect remedy for toothaches as well.

Soaking your toothbrushes in hydrogen peroxide will help keep them fresh and germ-free.

As an alternative to cleaning with vinegar, a 50/50 solution of peroxide and water in a spray bottle is another good way to keep your bathroom clean and disinfected.

A half bottle dumped into your bath water will help eliminate fungus, boils, and a variety of skin infections.

Want a streak-free mirror. Moisten a cloth with peroxide and wipe.

I simply love these bathroom tips! Thanks to my friend, Jesse, for sending them to me and thanks to Becky Ransey of Indiana for compiling them. Now I think I'll head up to the bathroom and grab that little brown bottle. I will be sure to share more tips for using this versatile liquid in the coming weeks.

Keeping it green with hydrogen peroxide,

Hana

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog