Wednesday, November 24, 2010

It's about being thankful

What is Thanksgiving all about?

Turkey?

Football?

A four- or five-day weekend?

Getting together with family?

Traditions?

How about thankfulness?

Somewhere along the way we lost the purpose of this day, I'm afraid. Seriously speaking, how many of you have taught your children about the true meaning of Thanksgiving? Have you ever even thought about it?

I challenge you to spend some time over the next couple of days sharing with your family what you are thankful for. Maybe even make a game of it, depending on the ages of your children. You could have everyone write down things they are thankful for on little slips of paper and then try to guess who wrote what. This will serve two purposes -- one, it will put the focus back on giving thanks and two, it will give you the opportunity to learn more about each other.

Aside from spiritual things, like grace, forgiveness and salvation, here's what I am thankful for this year:
  • my husband, Bill -- I cannot even begin to express how truly thankful I am for him
  • our daughters
  • our grandchildren
  • the freedom we have in this country (so far)
  • my parents
  • my church family
  • my career
  • my unbelievable friends
  • daily provisions
  • the Green Grandma community
Small list...big heart.

Happy Thanksgiving one and all,

Hana

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog