Friday, October 8, 2010

Vinegar Fridays

TGIVF!

I should know better. I have been taking my apple cider vinegar cocktail daily...well, at least most days...but it is a major fail! Why? Because I opted for cheaper and didn't buy organic.

On Wednesday I received a book in the mail from someone in the GG community. Lisa Marie sent me Paul and Patricia Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar Miracle Health System. I am already hooked. It was on page 2 where I discovered my mistake. I hope the Braggs do not mind my quoting them.

"Natural (undistilled) organic, raw ACV can really be called one of Mother Nature's most perfect foods. It is made from fresh, crushed apples which are then allowed to mature naturally in wooden barrels, as wood seems to "boost" the natural fermentation. Natural ACV should be a rich, brownish color and if held to the light you might see a tiny formation of 'cobweb-like' substances that we call the 'mother.'"

The ACV in my cupboard doesn't fit this description. While it might be okay for adding to my bath water, rinsing my hair or adding to my foot soaks, it really is not the best option for consumption.

Apparently, it was the American public that demanded the clearer, non-organic version of ACV -- the cloudiness was unpleasant to look at. So I guess I am about to engage in a hunt for the real thing. You see, the distilled version I am used to buying has undergone a heating process that has virtually destroyed the powerful enzymes and steamed out the wonderfully beneficial minerals (potassium, magnesium, etc.). According to Bragg, "Distilling also destroys the natural malic and tartaric acids which are important in fighting body toxins and inhibiting unfriendly bacteria." Lovely. Here I am trying to improve my health and have basically been taking nothing more than a placebo.

Dr. Paul and Dr. Patricia Bragg start off writing about the harmful effects of potassium deficiency -- something I know I suffer from, based on the horrific leg and foot cramps I get so often. Here are some other signs that you might have that indicate you are not getting enough potassium in your diet:
  • saggy eyelids
  • premature aging
  • muscular weakness
  • fatigue
  • temporary memory loss
  • constipation
  • sleep disturbances
  • kidney disease
  • hypertension
  • nervous system disorders
  • dry skin
  • acne and other skin problems
  • heart palpitations
  • irregular heart beat
  • abnormal psychological behavior/depression
Potassium deficiency increases acid levels in the body, thereby lowering the natural pH. It also has an affect on the formation of connective tissue, which makes the body tissue vulnerable to a wide variety of health problems.

Bottom line -- keeping your body properly nourished with potassium is vital and organic apple cider vinegar can provide the nourishment your body needs. Once again, let me quote the Braggs:

"The two great enemies of life are toxic poisons (found in food, air, water and soil) and nutritional deficiencies caused by improper diet. The best prevention of sickness is to eat vital, healthy food (organic when possible), especially those high in potassium. These provide the body with correct, life-giving nourishment."

I am certain I will be sharing more from this book as the weeks go by, but for now, I am going to close this Vinegar Friday and head out in my quest to find some organic ACV. My health depends on it!

Keeping it healthy with vinegar,

Hana

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog