Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Is it propaganda?

Have you heard about the controversy over the 10:10 YouTube “No Pressure” video? The graphic violence perpetrated against both children and adults because they will not participate in this global effort to reduce our carbon footprint is disturbing at best. But what I find even more disturbing is the negative impact this movement, and others like it, is making on environmentalism. Too many people want to avoid being defined as “tree-huggers,” so much so that they avoid any type of responsible stewardship of this amazing planet we have been blessed with.

Recycling does not make one a radical environmentalist, folks. Nor does carrying cloth bags to the grocery store. Come on! Personally, I am sick and tired of the excuses people use to not care for the earth. It is like saying you are not pro-life because some radical pro-lifers have blown up abortion clinics or attacked women as they have tried to enter such establishments.

Every group seems to have its radical fringes. But does that mean you should forsake the purpose of the group? Being green is not something to avoid. I have watched people cringe when I tell them the name of my blog.

“Oh, you’re one of those tree-huggers,” they will say, as they wipe their hands on their pants, as if to rid themselves of the very germs of my type. Oh please. Unfortunately, the only people I encounter like this happen to share the same beliefs as me on so many other levels. But their fear of being associated with my so-called type prevents them from embracing certain truths.

If you are a Bible-believing person, then guess what…God calls about YOU to be an environmentalist!

From the beginning, God’s first commands to man were to care for the earth. And this mandate carries through the entire Bible, all the way to Revelation. This is what John writes in the eleventh chapter, verse 18:

“The nations raged,
but your wrath has come,
and the time for judging the dead,
for rewarding your servants, the prophets
and saints and all who fear your name,
both small and great,
and for destroying those who destroy the earth.”

That is the Word of God, people. Unfortunately, I am probably preaching to the choir because most of you reading this already agree with me. The people who do not, wouldn’t want to be caught dead reading the ‘propaganda’ I promote.

Do I believe there is a dangerous movement pushing for radical environmentalism? Absolutely. However, that does not give me an excuse to carelessly abuse the earth’s limited resources. As I often say, it is all about common sense.

Is the 10:10 video inappropriate? That goes without saying. And I am angry with them for giving people even more reason to stay away from folks like me. Green folks. Folks who care. Hopefully, people like you.

Keeping it green,

Hana

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog