Tuesday, October 19, 2010

A little bit of common sense

During the radio interview on Friday, the host asked me about some practical, common sense things people can do to care for creation. I started my answer by talking about recycling and then ran out of time before I had the chance to add other suggestions. So I thought I would just continue the conversation here with a list of small changes you can make that are kinder to the environment and, in many cases, your health as well.
  • Line dry your clothes
  • Switch to cloth diapers
  • Skip the disposables -- buy inexpensive plates, glasses and flatware to use for all your parties and holiday gatherings...and don't forget the cloth napkins!
  • Wrap gifts creatively -- decorative boxes and tins are great for this. If you want to use gift bags, why not reuse ones you already have?
  • Avoid using fabric softener...ever! Dryer balls and/or vinegar are all you need.
  • Rake your leaves instead of using the leaf blower, whenever possible.
  • Combine errands and plan your route to use the least amount of gas possible.
  • Wear layers at home so you can keep the thermostat turned down. Make sure you have lots of throws and blankets handy!
  • Go for walks in your neighborhood rather than driving to the gym.
  • Gather water in rain barrels.
  • Compost.
  • Buy bars of soap rather than liquid soap in pump bottles.
  • Clean with vinegar, baking soda and lemon juice.
  • Print on both sides of the paper.
  • Use a toaster oven whenever possible, rather than heating up your oven.
  • Carry a supply of reusable bags with you whenever you go to the store.
  • Shop in resale shops and thrift stores. Goodwill's my personal favorite!
  • Use rags instead of paper towels.
  • Buy notepaper made from sugar cane, like the notebooks at O'BON.
These are just the first things that popped into my head...I'm sure I'll think of more after this posts. What about you? Do you have any suggestions for greener living you would like to share with the GG community? If so, please post a comment. I love it when I learn something new from one of you!

Keeping it green,

Hana

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog