Guys, on the other hand, are harder to buy for, so we often cook them a romantic dinner, add some candlelight and music, and treat them extra special.
At this point in the post, some of you, particularly you moms with young children, are rolling your eyes and maybe even calling me names. Go for it. I get it. A romantic dinner for you just might be take out and Netflix once the kids are all in bed. And chances are, you'll be asleep before the movie ends.
Take heart (no Valentine's pun intended)! It won't always be this way. But let's be honest. Unless you make the effort now to keep the romance alive, there might not be any romance left by the time you're empty nesters.
So I thought up an idea for Valentine's Day that won't stretch your already taxed budget. As a matter of fact, this one's free and works for either male or female. I guarantee this will take your romance meter up a notch or two, even if you're too tired to act upon it for awhile.
Fourteen Days of Saying I Love You
Starting on February 1st, I'm suggesting that you give your sweetie a note every day until Valentine's Day. Slip it in their wallet. Prop it up on their pillow. Serve it with their morning coffee. Tape it to the bathroom mirror. Put it on the dashboard of their car. Whatever works for you.
Here are 14 suggestions to help you along. Feel free to be creative and come up with your own prompts.
- I love you so much. So for the next 14 days, I am going to let you know why, starting now. I love you because _____.
- The first thing I noticed about you when I met you was _____. (Make sure this is something positive! The sexier, the better!)
- I knew I was falling in love with you the moment you/we/I _____.
- Every time you do/say/sing _____, I still melt. No one makes me feel the way you do.
- The best part about us is _____.
- If you were a fruit, you'd be a _____. If you were an animal, you'd be a _____. If you were an instrument, you'd be a _____. If you were a flower, you'd be a _____. Why? Because they're all my favorites and so are you.
- I love it when you wear _____ because it makes you look/smell amazing.
- My favorite month to spend with you is _____ because _____.
- If I could take you anywhere in the world, it would be _____.
- I can't wait until we can _____.
- Thank you for making me feel _____. No one else has ever made me feel that way.
- If I found a genie in a bottle and he was going to grant me three wishes, these are what my wishes would be for you. _____, _____, _____.
- The sweetest thing you've ever done for me was when you _____. I'll always love you for that.
- For the past 13 days, I've written about how much I love you. It's Valentine's Day. Let me show you.