Monday, February 10, 2014

Thank God it's Monday!

Image by Axel Kuhlmann

When you woke up this morning, what was your attitude about it being Monday? Were you happy you could send the kids to school, that your hubby would be at work all day, that you were able to be at work all day? Or were you upset about any or all of these things? Do you view Mondays with an attitude of drudgery?

As I scroll through Facebook, I see reminders week after week of how much people hate Mondays and live for Fridays. It's sad, actually. The fact is Monday comes around once a week. You can't avoid it, so to dread it/hate it/bemoan it seems a bit counterproductive in the grand scheme of things.

For me, I used to love Mondays. Since I work from home, I loved getting back into my routine in a quiet, empty house. Then my husband retired and Mondays blended in with all the other days. After I started my Sabbath Experiment, I started liking Sundays best. Now I lean toward Wednesday as my favorite day because that's when my husband goes to his volunteer job. Don't get me wrong -- I love my husband, and I've even found things to love about his being retired. However, I really, really love (and need) time alone. It's just the way I am and I don't think there is anything wrong with that. 

As a young stay-at-home-mom, I treasured the time I spent with my children. But I also treasured those rare nobody's-home-but-me hours. They were as delectable as rich, creamy chocolate cheesecake. Yum. Now I'm hungry.

This morning, as I looked through my FB feed, I found this gem posted by Green Child Magazine:


 

Monday. As a gift.

Have you ever thought of it that way? Here's the thing -- our kids tend to adopt our attitudes. Have you ever noticed how kids who are prejudiced come from parents who are prejudiced? Sad, but true. Those little sponges in your life are absorbing everything they hear and see, starting with what's happening at home. 

If you are a vocal member of the I-hate-Mondays club, chances are your kids will be, too. So I'm asking you to stop the cycle. Let's give Mondays the respect they deserve. They are the gift of a new week (thank you, Amanda H.). I'm grateful I never once heard either of my parents griping that the weekend was over and they had to go back to work on Monday. Perhaps that's because it was a different generation. Perhaps they griped less. Perhaps they appreciated more. 

Let's bring the trend back -- rejoicing in what we have, whether it's an out-of-the-house job, a retired spouse, or a snow day. There is something good about the mundane repetition in life. Find it. Let's turn the tide and start each week with TGIM! Share your enthusiasm. Let's other ride the wave with you.

Thanking God it's Monday,



No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog