Monday, February 24, 2014

Dr. Frankenstein, you've created a monster



Genetically engineered foods. It's a hot topic. While many people prefer to simply bury their heads in the sand, I cannot keep quiet about the dangers of GMOs. I can't and won't. In my opinion, Monsanto is perhaps the most evil organization in modern day history. Period. The damaging results of their "creations" are countless -- from food sensitivities, to cancer, to hormone imbalances, to death. Yes, death. The chemicals in RoundUp, for instance, are ridiculously hazardous to the health of our families and pets, wildlife, marine life, and the insect kingdom. Just look what's happening to the Monarch butterfly and bee populations. The research proves it, yet the U.S. government continues to protect and back Monsanto and other corporations responsible for this assault on life

Remember Dr. Frankenstein's monster? Sometimes, it's best not to mess with nature.

If I seem heated about this issue, I am. I'm tired of having to figure out what is safe to eat and what I should avoid. I'm tired of watching young frazzled moms unwittingly filling their grocery carts with processed foods and conventional produce... just trying to feed their families on a budget. I'm tired of watching neighbors spraying chemicals on their yards just to produce that perfect shade of green, and then watching their children play on those same chemically-laced lawns. I'm just tired.

If you're like me,  you know it doesn't matter how tired we are. We still have to be proactive in our attempts to protect our families. So I thought I'd share some info on GMOs which you might find useful. 

Here are a few foods on the Environmental Working Group's Watch List. These have the potential of being genetically engineered, yet, because labeling is not mandatory, we have no way of knowing if these are safe --
  • Zucchini and yellow summer squash. Ouch. This hurts me personally, as I'm a huge fan of squash. Some of the varieties are modified and some aren't, but your guess is as good as mine.
  • Sweet corn. Another favorite of mine. The fact is that most of the sweet corn you find in the grocery store and at local farm markets may not have grown from genetically modified seeds, but, like the squash, some are. Unless it's marked as organic, you're playing Russian Roulette with your corn.
  • Papaya. Here's one that doesn't affect me, as I don't think I've ever purchased a papaya. But according to the Hawaiian Papaya Industry Association, most of the island's papaya is genetically engineered to resist the ringspot virus. Over 75%, as a matter of fact.
Later in the week, I'll provide a list of EWG's Factory Four -- the most common GE ingredients found in our food. Keep in mind, this list pertains to the U.S. specifically, as many other countries have banned GMOs completely.

Keeping you informed,





No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog