Voting season is upon us and in Washington State, voters have an opportunity to make a difference when it comes to GMO labeling. So I'm asking you to read this post and then share it with anyone you know who lives in Washington. It is essential we get the message out to VOTE YES ON I-522, the GMO labeling initiative!
Let's face it, the big name corporations out there do not want labeling and they are pouring millions of dollars into the campaign to shoot down I-522. It's all about their profit, folks, and they have to be stopped. We, as consumers, have the right to know what is in our food. Period. If GMOs are as safe as they claim, why are companies like Monsanto and DuPont spending so much money to defeat this initiative ($4.85 million and $3.4 respectively million as of September 18th)? I don't know about you, but this makes my blood boil! Think about how many hungry people in the world could be fed with that kind of money. Instead, it's being used to keep Americans in the dark as to what poisons they are putting into their bodies. Inexcusable!
If I-522 passes, Washington State will be the first state in the U.S. to require labeling of GMOs. Californians lost their own initiative last year by a mere 6% after the huge multinational chemical and junk food companies spent a fortune of misleading ads. Come on, Washington, don't let these same companies buy this election. It's time consumers stood up for themselves and let their voices be heard!
If you care about the right to know what is in your food, or you are concerned about the impacts of GMOs on people and the environment, I urge you to step up to the plate and help! Spread the word and to let people in Washington State know that I-522 is for their good. The big corporations have to be stopped and only the voters can make that happen.
If you are a blogger, I urge you to blog about this. You don't need to be an expert (I'm not), nor do you need to live in Washington. You simply need to care about what you eat and about people's health.
Here are the TOP 5 REASONS WHY WE SHOULD HAVE GMO LABELING:
- Everyone has the right to know what is in the food they eat. American companies already label the GMO food they export to 64 other countries. We deserve to know, too.
- Labeling GMOs is the necessary first step in the fight for control over our food system. Over 80% of processed food contains GMOs, and no GMO fish, apples and corn are coming to the market.
- Farmers, ranchers, and businesses from Washington support I-522; 99% of the opposition is funded by out-of-state corporations.
- Farming GMO crops uses more pesticides than conventional crops, contaminate our environment and people who live near agriculture.
- Contrary to industry claims, labeling GMOs does not impact the price of food. This is used simply as a scare tactic.
- Give Washington shoppers information about what is in their food.
- Require labeling of genetically engineered foods and processed foods with genetically engineered ingredients. This would include GE Salmon and GMO apples if approved by the FDA, and other genetically engineered foods, including corn or soy, or foods with genetically engineered ingredients like chips, cold cereals, soft drinks, and candy.
- Set a precedent for the rest of the country.
I-522. Don't let money talk. It's time for the people to shout the loudest!
Keeping you informed,