Friday, September 27, 2013

Feeling pickled

TGIVF!!

Two weeks ago at this time, I had no idea of the physical suffering about to greet me the next day. The kidney infection knocked me down and kept me there for over a week and, today, still has me squirming. I had another terrible night last night and I'm dragging this morning. I guess this is just something I'm not going to bounce back from quickly.

Tennille, one of GG's faithful followers, sent me a link to an eye-opening article about vinegar. Apple cider flavored vinegar, to be exact.



Now we know, unless we're buying organic distilled white vinegar, we're going to have to accept genetically modified corn, chemical processing, or both. It's what keeps it cheap. As much as I don't want to support the GMO industry, I recognize that sometimes I don't have a choice. So when it comes to cleaning my toilet safely and economically, I opt for conventional DWV.

However, my choices for ACV are a little more complicated. If consumed, I want it to be organic and raw. Period. There's no other way to reap the multitude of benefits and, quite honestly, I hate the taste. If I'm going to force myself to take it, it darned well better do me some good. 

But when I dump a couple of cups of apple cider vinegar in the tub for a nice long soak, I use filtered ACV. The problem is, as pointed out to me by Tennille, I better start reading the labels more closely. You see, Heinz has Apple Cider Flavored Distilled Vinegar. Yikes!

So basically, if I make the mistake and buy the flavored ACV, I'm wasting my money because it is nothing more than distilled white vinegar with apple flavoring. What?!

You'll find the description on the Heinz website

Heinz® Distilled White Vinegar and Apple Cider Flavored Vinegar are sourced from corn, not from wheat, rye, barley, or oats. Wine Vinegar and Apple Cider Vinegar are sourced from grapes and apples, respectively, not grains. 

Why, oh why, would they do this? I feel deceived and that makes me angry. While it's true that the bottles are clearly labeled, no one would even think to read the small print placed between the words "Apple Cider" and "Vinegar," right? Have you ever looked?

Well, now you know better, and so do I. Read the label carefully before you place that ACV in your cart, regardless of the brand. As it turns out, Heinz isn't the only one doing this. Aloha brand for example, looks like regular ACV, but then turn it around and read the ingredients.




Not only is there apple cider flavor, but there is caramel coloring as well. So much for healthy!

Same goes for Gedney brand.


The list goes on and on. Yet another reason to ruffle GG's feathers. And while we're at it, did you ever read the ingredients on the back of your pickle jar? Unless you're buying organic, you'll find Yellow 5 in nearly every jar! I discovered that a couple of weeks ago and wanted to scream right there in the grocery store! Food coloring in pickles. Really? Yes, really. When I got home, however, I reached into the fridge and pulled out my Claussen Kosher Dill Spears and was delighted to see the word "turmeric" instead of Yellow 5. And after researching this, I read that there is no artificial food coloring in Trader Joe's brand, either. Lesson learned: READ THE LABELS.

Keeping it green and healthy (as possible) with vinegar,








No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog