Wednesday, February 1, 2012

But not the hippopotamus



A hog and a frog
cavort in the bog
but not the hippopotamus.

I started reciting those lines to my children nearly three decades ago, sometimes as we would sit and read directly from the book, and other times as I sang the words to a tune I made up. Years later, I sang the same song to my first grandchild when she was just a baby. This is the one song I would sing to her that would calm her down and grab her attention, right from the start. Laura's a smart kid ... she loves Sandra Boynton, too!

There is no question that Sandra Boynton is my favorite children's book author and illustrator. I adore her books. My kids loved her books. And now, both of my grandchildren want to have these whimsical stories read to them again and again.


Pap Pap reading Blue Hat, Green Hat to Lincoln
 If you've never had the pleasure of reading a Boynton book, you've missed a real treat. Even if you don't have children or grandchildren, I suggest you pick up one of these delightful little board books (perfect for toddlers' little hands), just to read through on days you need an attitude adjustment. And Boynton has the perfect book for just that -- Happy Hippo, Angry Duck: The Book of Moods. This is my grandson, Lincoln's, favorite.

Other family favorites include Moo, Baa, La La La!, The Going to Bed Book (another one I used to sing to my kids), Blue Hat, Green Hat (the grandkids both love this one), and, of course, Bob.

When it comes to Boynton, what's not to love?! Her sense of humor coupled with her impeccable timing make every book a sheer delight. And for those of us who are true Sandra Boynton fans, nothing could have made us happier than when she released CDs of her verse put to music! And let me tell you, these aren't cheesy productions, either!
Philadelphia Chickens was even nominated for a Grammy and includes the musical talents of  Patti LuPone, Kevin Kline, Meryl Streep, The Bacon Brothers, Laura Linney, Eric Stoltz, Natasha Richardson, and Scott Bakula. It's just an amazing CD that is at times silly and other times a bit moving ... I mean, who wouldn't get a bit choked up over a song like, Poor Lonely Peas? Oh wait, Poor Lonely Peas is on one of her other equally wonderful CDs, Rhinoceros Tap.

What I'm trying to say is, "I LOVE Sandra Boynton." It's an affection born in me back in 1982 when my daughter, Bethany, was born and remains to this day.

Did Sandra Boynton send me a book to review? No. Am I hosting a giveaway? No. Quite simply, I'm just sharing with you a love I have of quirky children's books ... ones you hold in your hands as let your little ones turn the pages. Ones that don't require batteries or chargers. Ones that can be dropped and spit up on and only cost a few bucks. To me, nothing beats a good toddler-sized board book. And no one beats Sandra Boynton in providing one.

Reviewing it for you,

Hana

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog