Tuesday, August 9, 2011

How about a Vinegar Tuesday?

Theo Van Gogh

People are always telling me they miss Vinegar Fridays, so I thought I'd slip in a Vinegar Tuesday today. For those of you who really enjoyed VFs, I will be releasing a book in the fall with all the vinegar tips organized in a semi-logical order! I hope you'll buy it.

Did you ever start unloading your dishwasher only to find a bunch of miscellaneous gunk accumulated in one or more of your glasses? How does that happen?! Unfortunately, I find it happens more often when I'm using 'green' dish washing products, which makes my husband emphatically state, over and over again, that we need to go back to Cascade.

Anyway, I was emptying the dishwasher yesterday and pulled out two glasses that were simply not going to be put away. They're tall narrow glasses that are difficult to hand wash. So I put a little water in them with a teaspoon of baking soda. Then, I added the magic ingredient -- distilled white vinegar. Just a splash of it was enough to cause the effervescent reaction I was hoping for. All those tiny little natural scrubbing bubbles attacked that dishwasher gunk in no time. Voila! A couple of shiny glasses! I can't tell you how excited I am about this new discovery!

Today is truly a vinegar Tuesday for me. I started out in the shower rinsing my hair with apple cider vinegar. I alternate how I do this. Some days, I pour 1/2 cup in a jar and add 2 cups of water. At the end of my shower, I simply pour this on my hair as a final rinse. Other days, I put a tablespoon or so in the jar with a cup of water and use it like conditioner after I'm done washing my hair, thoroughly rinsing it out. This is the best detangler around ... and it's completely natural. If you have light-colored hair, you might prefer using distilled white vinegar instead.

Next, as I was making my coffee, I grabbed the Dr. Bragg's Organic Unfiltered Raw Apple Cider Vinegar from the cupboard and took a tablespoon, followed by 8 oz. of water and then a thorough rinsing of my mouth (it will erode tooth enamel if it just sits in there!).

After breakfast, I took a couple of vases into the kitchen and took the dead sunflowers out of them (to be put in the compost pile). The vases had that dead-flower-slime in them, so guess what I did? Yep. Baking soda, water and vinegar. The foaming is actually cool to watch -- your kiddos will love it!

So that was it with the vinegar ... so far. On the agenda for later today or this evening -- a apple cider vinegar foot bath. A 5 minute soak in one cup of ACV in a basin with warm water creates the softest feet I've had since I was a toddler. Seriously. It's amazing how soft my heels get. If you have rough feet, you have to try this.

After the foot soak, I'm going to repurpose the ACV-infused water and give my cat a bath. Theo is not aware of this yet, and he won't be too thrilled when it actually happens. But the results will be well worth it. You see, Theo is allergic to bug bites. So every summer, he ends up covered in scabs. Poor thing. Then his fur gets a bit oily and yucky feeling. The vinegar bath will sooth the itch and make his coat amazingly soft. I might endure a few scratches in the process, but like I said, it will be worth it.

That's my Vinegar Tuesday. Let me know if you have a Vinegar Tuesday of your own!

Keeping it green, healthy and soft with vinegar,

Hana

2 comments:

  1. To keep in the spirit of Vinegar Tuesday, I want to let you know that when I did laundry this morning, I used white vinegar as my fabric softener. I also sprayed some diluted vinegar inside my daughter's stinky, waterproof shoes. After a few minutes, I rinsed them out and the smell was gone (until our next outing, anyway).

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog