Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Beguiled




Today is our anniversary. I have been married to my wonderful husband, Bill, for 19 years, so I think it's only appropriate to post something lighter today. Perhaps a poem I wrote for him quite a few years ago. It's a silly poem and every part of it is intentional, so if you decide to critique it, know that I understand the word 'thee' is no longer used...like I said, everything's intentional.

Beguiled

by Hana Haatainen Caye

You sleep
you snore
you dream awhile

My husband
lover
my best pal

I wonder who it is you see
with eyes closed tight
in private dreams

Then once or twice
I see a smile
across those lips
that once beguiled

a widow,
young,
(too young for you!)
You came along
when I was blue.

You made me laugh
You saw my smile
across these lips
that once beguiled

a man too old
(too old for me!)
I shake my head,
“How can this be?”
That you were
always
in my dreams…

and I in yours
or so it seems.

So as you sleep
and as you snore
your dreams don’t matter
anymore

‘Cause I have you
and you have me
It’s me you love
and I love thee!


Happy anniversary to my beloved.

Hana

Photo by Hana Haatainen Caye...taken at our favorite getaway spot: Willow House Cottage in Latrobe, PA

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog