Thursday, April 15, 2010

It's a boy!

My husband and I joined a few others tonight to watch a sonogram being performed on my daughter, Bethany. Two years earlier, we'd done the same thing with my daughter, Jess, and found out she was having a girl. Well tonight, we found out the opposite. Lincoln James is scheduled to make an appearance sometime around the 6th of September.

As I watched the tiny feet kicking and the elbow resting on his knee, I couldn't help thinking about all those who deny the absolute proof that this is a human being....right now.... not in five months....but now. The sound of the heart beating, the image of the child resting his head against the placenta. What about this is not human? I just don't get it.

Once it is acknowledged that this is indeed a child, how then can someone say it has no rights? Granted, it has no voice....but no rights? There was a time in our history when African American's were treated the same way...as less than human. That was the only way for ignorant people to excuse their treatment of them. It was the only way to justify slavery. It took brave people like William Wilburforce to stand up and fight for the rights of blacks to have a voice. Thank God for Wilburforce. And thank God for the men and women who take a stand for the unborn. It is a travesty what is being done on a daily basis to the most innocent among us. I, for one, believe in the God-given rights each and every one of us has, born or unborn, and I will fight for those rights until the day I die.

But I digress. That's not what tonight was about. It was about my own daughter, her husband and their son. So let me get back to that.

It's an odd thing....this upcoming birth of a boy. I grew up with two sisters, have five daughters and one granddaughter. I don't even know what to do with a boy! I know changing diapers is more challenging. And, in most cases, I know boys tend to be a bit noisier than girls. Maybe that's what's always scared me...the noise. I prefer quiet. I'm not one to have the radio or television on for the background din. I like silence. Boys making random truck sounds confuse me. I just don't get it. But I understand it's part of their nature.

When I was pregnant, I wasn't one to say, "Oh I don't care what I have, as long as it's healthy." Nope, not me. I wanted girls. Only girls. I didn't think I would be a good mother to boys and apparently God agreed. Not that I wouldn't have adjusted and loved a son. But God spared me that challenge!

I simply love being the mother of girls. I love being the grandmother of a girl. But I'm sure, if you check back with me a year from now, I'll be singing the praises of having a grandson. It will be a new adventure in my life....one God must think I'm ready for. A precious little baby boy, just as eager to be loved by Grandma as my lovely little Lady Laura is. And I'm sure, as I get to know him, I'll get the same butterflies in my stomach as I do now when I'm getting ready to spend time with Laura. It's an inexplicable phenomenon that happens when a grandchild reaches up for a grandparent. Parents, you can't understand it. Not until it happens to you. It's one of the great mysteries of life. And I'm about to watch it unfold again.

A grandson. Imagine that.

Sharing my heart,

Hana

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog