Monday, March 1, 2010

Who's the boss?

Why is it when we are exhausted and in need of a nap, the little ones in our lives tend to resist every attempt to get them to lie down?? I was blessed with children that napped. They loved their naps and hit the crib willingly. So far, the grandbaby's pretty receptive to naps as well.

But I hear a lot of complaints from other parents about their little Energizer Bunnies who rise at dawn and keep going and going and going 'til long past dusk. Wow. I know, personally, I couldn't take that. The question is, do you have to? After all, who is in charge here? If you allow your toddler to dictate his schedule, expect him to rule in a lot of other ways as he gets older. I'm really tired of seeing parents bowing down to their children -- they're not supposed to be idols, folks!

"But I work full time and only have a few hours with my children each day," I hear you saying. "I don't want to spend all my time discipling them or forcing them to do something they don't want to do." Or the dreaded, "I want my kids to like me." Listen up....being a parent requires parenting not friendship. Children who grow up with buddies for parents tend to be self-absorbed, manipulative brats. That's just the way it is.

So back to the napping problem. You're the parent...they're the children. You can't force them to sleep, but you can require them to spend quiet time in their room listening to a book on tape, coloring, or some other calming activity...something safe and restful. Of course, watching TV should not be an option. If your little ones have televisions in their rooms at this point, you already have issues you better deal with.

I shouldn't have to tell you to eliminate caffeine from their diets, but unfortunately, I see way too many kids under the age of five sucking down cans of Pepsi and Mountain Dew. If you're a parent who gives your children soda, I have one question for you: What are you thinking?! And remember, chocolate is a source of caffeine as well.

Sugar is another detriment to having a kid who rests. But above all else, do not assume a sugar substitute is a safe option!! I'll be addressing the dangers of aspartame, et al in a future blog. Let me just say this: pregnant women and children need to steer clear! Diet soft drinks are not the answer.

Wow, this blog entry is just all over the place, isn't it? Once I got started, several of my trigger points flared up and I just went with it.

Bottom line, parents, is you are in charge. And you are responsible for the habits your children form, the dynamics of the family down the road, and the healthy, or unhealthy, choices in your children's diets. If you're exhausted (and, realistically, what parent isn't?), start developing restful habits in your little ones now. Grab a nap, read a book, chat with a friend -- whatever you do in their quiet time, enjoy it. Recharge. Everyone in the family will benefit.

Keeping it real,

Hana

1 comment:

Search This Blog