Friday, May 6, 2016

Vinegar Friday -- Not Your Grandfather's Moonshine!


TGIVF!! 

This month, I'm thrilled to feature guest blogger, Shelleen Sue Weaver, a writer I met at the Lancaster Christian Writers Super Saturday conference last month. Enjoy!





Not Your Grandfather’s Moonshine!

My name is Shelleen Sue Weaver…Unusual name; I know. I was named after a monkey, but that’s another story for another day. Today, I’d like to tell you about a drink I could only describe as a vinegary twist of sheer deliciosity that brings a party to my palate and cleanse to my cells with every sip. But first, a little fun about a perhaps “not so proud” aspect of my heritage:

Grandpa ran moonshine in the Pocono Mountains.
I guess during those times, that’s what they would do.
Now-a-days however, we prefer youthful fountains,
And I’ve grown quite fond of my own home brew.

It still has a kick but not the kind that makes you stumble.
Instead when I drink it, I feel so squeaky clean.
Grandpa’s was famous, but it caused lots of trouble,
And I’m convinced I’m not missin’ a thing.

It’s full of nutrition, and the color is pretty.
Give it a shake, and it’ll pack quite a punch.
Drink it every day, and you’ll be feelin’ rather spiffy.
Enjoy it for breakfast, dinner, or lunch.

Grandpa worked hard at his craft; I give him credit.
But it stressed out grandma who feared legalities.
If only Grandpa knew how to brew my juice I bet that
He’d have ditched his recipe – Grandma would’ve been pleased!

So here you go… I never gave it a name until I had the pleasure of meeting Hana (a.k.a. Green Grandma) at a writers’ conference a couple of weeks ago. She asked me what was in my mason jar. So for now, we’ll just call it:


NOT YOUR GRANDFATHER’S MOONSHINE



Ingredient List:

¼ - ½ cup of Braggs Apple Cider Vinegar
1” – 2” Ginger Root (Substitute from your spice cabinet if you don’t have fresh root on hand.)
1” – 2” Turmeric Root (Again, pull from your spice rack if need be, but fresh is so much better!)
3 drops of lemon essential oil. (If you take issue with ingesting essential oils, just use lemon juice to taste – fresh squeezed is always best.)
¼ - ½ tsp. black pepper
1/4 tsp. Stevia Powder (You can use liquid too; again, to taste.)

Place all ingredients into a blender or vitamixer, and add several ice cubes and water until full.

Blend and Savor…It’s going to make you smile! J

For the health of it, (Sorry, I just had to say that!)

~Shelleen



Shelleen Weaver gave her first original poetry recitation for a talent competition, the summer she won the title of Miss Teen of Pennsylvania. Her poetry surfaced again a dozen years later, as she responded to heart-ache, this time morphing into song. Out of this she recorded her first album, Rough Tracks, from which her song Enraptured, climbed to #1 on CRW’s Global AC Charts.

Shelleen’s three children have inspired her poetry to take on the form of original lullabies and bed-time stories, out of which her first book, Fruit Fables, is under contract to be published.

Shelleen Weaver is His Word Weaver, using her gift of writing to bring glory and honor to the Creator of all things beautiful. Visit her website at www.shelleensings.com to learn more.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog