Disclosure: This is a sponsored post. I received products and/or compensation in exchange for this post. It in no way is to replace the advice of a physician.
My father was 45 when he had his first two major heart attacks. The damage was severe and doctors believed he wouldn't make it to 50. Only 7 YO at the time of his first attack, I grew up to the sound of ambulances and hospital beeps. I feared walking into the house when his car was in the driveway because I knew he wouldn't be home unless he wasn't feeling well and I was afraid I'd find him dead on the floor. It wasn't a fun way to grow up.
Even after I'd moved 250 miles away, my own heart still stopped whenever I'd hear an ambulance, assuming it was my dad on the way to the hospital again. You see, he made it past his 50th birthday and all the way to his 62nd. In 18 years, he survived 13 heart attacks. We assume his 14th killed him.
I guess it was because of my experiences with my father that my husband's heart attack hit me especially hard. I'd already been widowed once, in 1989, and I wasn't prepared to walk that road again.
The leading cause of death in both men and women, heart disease claims the lives of more than 610,000 people each year in the U.S. alone. That's one in every four deaths.
On his last visit to the cardiologist, my husband received a good report. The doctor even took him off his blood thinner. Phew. Relief. The wake up call worked. My husband heeded the warnings and started taking better care of himself.
One of the reasons we believe the attack was minor is that Bill has always taken the right supplements, including lecithin, which keeps the cholesterol moving through the veins, and fish oil.
It's a fact that there is more scientific evidence between the cardiovascular benefits of fish oil than virtually any other nutritional supplement. In over 8,000 scientific studies, including close to 1,000 human clinical trials, the evidence has shown that EPA and DHA, the omega-3 essential fatty acids in fish oil, support overall cardiovascular function and reduce the incidence of heart disease. Even the American Heart Association recommends eating fish twice a week for this reason.
Research on Omega-3s for the Heart have shown to:
- Support overall cardiovascular health
- Optimize circulation and blood vessel function
- Support a healthy heart rhythm
- Promote healthy triglyceride levels
- Support healthy blood pressure
- Are natural and safe for long-term use
With concerns over environmental contaminants, eating fish is not always the best option, however. That's why supplementing your diet with high-quality purified fish oil makes sense.
We've been taking Nordic Naturals products for years. They are the #1 Fish Oil Company in the U.S. But they also understand the necessity of combining fish oil supplementation with a heart-healthy diet rich in whole, nutrient dense food, as well as the importance of staying active.
The company sent me THE COMPLETE MEDITERRANEAN DIET book by Dr. Michael Ozner to review. The book includes fantastic recipes that are not only perfect for someone concerned about their heart health, but also for diabetics like me. Dr. Ozner is a renowned and well-respected cardiologist. The traditional Mediterranean diet is clinically proven to reduce your risk of heart disease, cancer, and a variety of other diseases. Combined with the latest scientific findings in health and nutrition, Dr. Ozner was able to create an easy-to-follow and delicious diet. There are 500 classic Mediterranean recipes in the book. I especially like the desserts and the thumbs up for dark chocolate.
One of the interesting facts I learned from the book, is that people in Mediterranean countries tend to nap a lot, often taking short naps after lunch. A recent study revealed that doing this reduced the risk of death from heart disease by 37%! Let's hear it for the power nap!
The book also contains steps for stress reduction and exercise tips. It's really an amazing publication and the fine folks at Nordic Naturals want to give it away to one of you!
In addition to the book, THE COMPLETE MEDITERRANEAN DIET by Michael Ozner, MD, they're also including two of their outstanding products:
- Nordic Naturals CoQ10 Ubiquinol (60 count Non-GMO Verified) provides 100mg of coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10) ubiquinol to support cellular energy production and cardiovascular health. Ubiquinol is the active antioxidant form of CoQ10, a fat soluble molecule found in nearly every cell, tissue, and organ in the body, which helps transform food into energy. It is ideal for people who may be deficient in CoQ10, or for individuals with cardiovascular conditions, those taking statin drugs, or for anyone over the age of 40 looking for extra antioxidant support.
- Nordic Naturals Ultimate Omega 2x (60 count Non-GMO Verified) features Nordic Naturals highest concentration triglyceride form omega-3 oil in a slightly larger soft gel that delivers 1000mg EPA+DHA per soft gel. With one or two soft gel serving options, this powerful concentrate can be tailored to meet a broad range of unique nutritional needs.
- Plus a fun swag bag full of goodies!
Additionally, now through 05/01/16, Green Grandma readers will receive a 15% discount on all phone and web orders at Nordic Naturals! Just use the code HEART16. Plus, there is free shipping on all orders over $25.
So how can you win this fantastic prize package, valued at over $100? Simply enter on the Rafflecopter below.
Giveaway is open to U.S. only. 18+. Contest ends at midnight on 03/24/16. The winner will have 48 hours to respond to my email before an alternate winner is chosen. Prizes will be shipped by Integral Marketing on 04/01/16.