|Photo of mold by Petr Kratochvil|
Well, it's Vinegar Friday once again. As I write this, I'm sitting at the kitchen table in my mother's home. For those of you who may not have heard, my mother died on January 15th. My sister and I are here for the weekend, sorting through her things. It's not an easy task.
One area of the house which won't require a whole lot of work is the basement. The basement was flooded in September 2011 and my husband and our youngest daughter, Jessica, came to town for the clean up. The result was a lot of stuff put out on the curb for the trash collectors. There was no choice.
Once the cleaning out was done, they went about the arduous task of cleaning up. While most people in town were buying gallons of bleach, Bill and Jess bought gallons of distilled white vinegar. They disinfected the entire basement with vinegar. And it was effective. There are no signs of mildew or mold.
So, my friends, that is my vinegar tip for the day. There is no reason to use toxic bleach when you're trying to control mold and mildew. Just reach for the vinegar and scrub away! And breathe easy... even if you're not fond of the smell, at least you know it's not going to harm you!