Feeding your kids fish is not the only way to take advantage of the consistent findings from a whole slew of research studies related to this. The key is supplying them with omega-3 fatty acids, or so-called "smart fats." Dr. Keri Marshall wrote a chapter in the book, Amazing Grades! 101 Best Ways to Improve Your Grades Faster, which included the following information:
- Our brains are comprised of 60% fat with gray matter making up approximately 45% of total brain fat
- Approximately 30% of the gray matter is made of DHA
- Omega-3s make up a part of every cell membrane in your body
- Attention and behavior. Based on research from the University of South Australia, 132 children (ages 7-12) with ADHD who took fish oil capsules were "calmer, less impulsive, and showed improvements in attention, behavior, and vocabulary." Further study revealed that, after 5 months, "unruly children who took fish oil supplements showed improved behavior, concentration, and bonding, as well as the equivalent of nearly nine months' improvement in expressive language ability."
- Grades and test scores. A British study found that 184 teenagers attending a school for the behaviorally challenged, who were given fish oil supplements for a period of 12 weeks prior to taking standardized tests, exceeded expected results by one full grade.
- Learning and literacy. A study in 2007 of 355 children, ages 6-9, found that verbal learning and spelling ability improved in those who were taking fish oil supplements on a consistent basis. Additionally, these children retained information better and missed fewer sick days from school. In more recent years, another study of 90 7-12 year old kids with ADHD concluded that DHA supplements helped to improve reading and spelling, as well as reduced behavioral problems.
- Memory and problem solving. Children whose moms included enough healthy fats while pregnant are destined to score higher on tests of memory function.
Nordic Naturals, the world's leading supplier of omega-3 fatty acids, is sponsoring an amazing scholarship program and I'm thrilled to be partnering with them to promote this. The What's Essential Essay Scholarship from Nordic Naturals runs through the end of March 2013. One college student will win $5,000 for college, along with a year's supply of Nordic Naturals' award-winning omega oils! This is an essay competition and the details can be found at www.whatsessential.com.
All statements and products mentioned in this post have not been reviewed by the FDA and is not intended to diagnose, cure or treat any diseases.